The day I ended up in Ireland with just a T-shirt

The fun thing about surprise trips is that they are a surprise. There is no anticipation, no expectations, no disappointments about plans not working out ... One minute you are sitting in the airport lounge, checking uber rates to get home from JFK because it’s 10 pm and you are too tired to deal with the subway, the next minute you are walking towards the gate for the Shannon flight and googling the top 10 activities around your hotel. 

The not so fun thing about them is that sometimes you don’t have the right attire for your last minute destination and landing on a Sunday means all the shopping stores are closed. 

That was the case for me when I ended up  in Ireland for 3 days. Yes, with my luck the one time I don't have my windbreaker, I am “stuck” in Ireland for 72 hours instead of the usual 24 hour layover. 

But not having the right clothes didn’t stop me from exploring.

My crew “abandoning me” and taking a lame tour bus also didn’t stop me.

 So what if I had to drive alone on the other side of the road with no rain jacket or sweater? The cliffs of Moher would be worth it. 

And they were. 


X





But what was even more worth it were all the little stops I got to do along the way ... because guess what ... I was the driver. I was the boss -:) 

On my way to the cliffs, I took a little detour to Lahinch, a cute little beach town on Liscannor Bay only 13 minutes away from the cliffs. Of course, the little town was adorable, like everything in Ireland. 



Just a tad windy 

And it was thanks to my little detour that I discovered a side entrance to the cliffs that was super off the grid. Parking was only 2 euros and the hike to the side entrance was really pretty and super empty. No tourists ... well beside me of course, and a few cows. But seriously it was so off the grid that instead of fighting off other tourists to get a clear shot of the cliffs, I had to patiently wait until another "anti-tour bus fellow tourist" was in the same area as me and disturb their quiet and peace by asking them to capture a quick photo for me. I also got creative with my phone to take solo pictures and without being full of myself, I think I did pretty well. See last picture of the post and let me know your thoughts in the comments :-) But for now check out the cows ... 













Also, and I promise I am not exaggerating, I discovered the two cutest little shops on planet Earth - ok maybe I am exaggerating a bit - but they are definitely the two cutest little shops in Ireland. Hazel Mountain Chocolate sells - drumroll please - chocolate. And Burren Perfumery sells - drumroll again - perfume but also skincare, essentials oils and teas. The perfumery  has an adorable tea room attached to it with yummy made from scratch food and baked goods, and the chocolate factory has a little cafĂ© right at the entrance of the grounds,  with yummy baked goods, plenty of gluten-free options and delicious drinks. 

Check out yourself how cute these little shops are ...  


Burren Chocolatier: 










Burren Perfumery: 



















So ... aren't they the cutest?

It's a miracle I didn't spend my entire savings account in both stores, but if I am being honest, it was not because of self-control. It was because I was rushing to get to Menlo castle before dusk.

I still managed to buy the yummiest hot chocolate powder and a few chocolate ganache as well as several essentials oils, perfume and the most amazing handmade soy lavender and sweet orange candle. I am literally obsessed and the best news is that they ship to the US, and if you spend over 60 euros, shipping is free! 




My wish list -:) 

If When I do go back though, for the sake of not going broke and ending up homeless, I am bringing cash only. Credits cards are too dangerous in these shops. 

But back to the Menlo castle. I made it there before sundown, and it was so cool.  I am still not completely sure if it is open to the public and I just happened to get there once the gate was closed or if the gate is always locked and I was trespassing on private property.

Either way, the gate is very easy to jump and within a 3 minute walk, I was exploring this really cool riverfront castle with ivy-covered walls built in the 1500's, and desperately trying to take a selfie since there was no other tourist around to help me out. I did run into a few beautiful horses, but they were not well trained for selfies.

DISCLAIMER: there was no sign who said "Do Not Enter."

I know my head is kind of covering the view but it was the best I could manage 






*candid* pic of me by me :-) 





the castle entrance 
the cute Irish horses 

Long story short, my solo day trip was fantastic and even though it was a bit challenging trying to shift gears with my left hand while making sure I was going to the right side of the rotary, it was totally worth it and I am so glad I did not listen to the many people who said it was a "bad" idea.

It was also a bit challenging to take handstand pics without my husband or stepson or my travel buddies Samantha and Deidre, but I just couldn't get myself to ask a stranger to take a picture of me doing a handstand, so yes I found rocks to set my little iPhone 6 and used my timer like a big girl and voila! 

Also, I don't really trust other people to take good handstand pictures, aside the ones mentioned above - more about this in my next post.  I think I did ok. What do you think? And does my article make you want to go explore Ireland? 

Hopefully it does! 



EAT WELL, TRAVEL OFTEN, TAKE PICTURES 

SARA 

Comments

Most Read Articles

Joshua Tree: the perfect spot to DISCONNECT

Dear Passengers (Part 2)

Trop Bon Trop Con